When Apple came released iOS 11.2 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.2, Apple users finally were able to transfer cellular phone calls between their apple products, including their iPhone, iPad and Mac. If you’re an Apple user, you probably didn’t know though that you could switch an in-progress call between your iPhone and Apple Watch. If you think this is just for regular cellular phone calls, it’s not. This also includes FaceTime audio ones as well.
WatchOS from the beginning has supported the transfer from Apple Watch to iPhone, however, with the changes made in watchOS 4.2, it now supports sending calls in the other direction. We’re going to show you how to switch and transfer calls from your Apple Watch to iPhone and vice versa.
How to Switch Calls Between iPhone & Apple Watch
In order to switch calls between iPhone and Apple Watch, you’re going to need an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with iOS 11.2 or later as well as an Apple Watch with watchOS 4.2 or later. In addition, you’re also going to need to have your Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Handoff turned on both device. In order to do this, follow these steps:
• Go to Settings → General → Handoff (on your iPhone) → turn Handoff
• Then, launch your watch app on your iPhone, tap on General and turn on Enable Handoff.
Now that it’s set-up, you’ll be able to hand off calls from your iPhone to your Apple Watch. Here’s how to do it.
How to Transfers Calls From Apple Watch to iPhone
If you’re wanting to transfer your call from your watch to your iPhone, you’ll need to follow these instructions. These instructions will show you how to easily transfer an incoming call or FaceTime audio call that’s picked up from your watch to your iPhone.
1. Answer your incoming cellular call or FaceTime Audio call on your Apple Watch.
2. On your iPhone, you’re going to look at your screen and hit the green bar that’ll show on the upper left-hand side of your iPhone. If your iPhone is older than an iPhone X, your green bar will run along the top of the display.
3. Tap on the green bar. This will automatically turn on the phone app on the handset and transfer your in-progress call from your watch to your hand in one swift and seamless move. The person you’re talking to won’t even notice.
How to Transfer Calls From iPhone to Apple Watch
Now, you’ll want to follow these instructions if you’re answering an incoming cellular call of FaceTime Audio on your iOS device and you’d like to transfer the call to your Apple Watch.
1. Answer your incoming cellular call or FaceTime audio on your iPhone.
2. Then, on your Apple Watch, open the Phone
3. On your Apple Watch, tap the green bar. It’ll have an in-progress call indicator on the top, above the favorite button.
4. Then, swipe up or turn on the Digital Crown which will show a hidden button.
5. Tap the button which is labelled Apple Watch.
It’s not as quick as when you’re transferring from your Apple Watch to iPhone, so expect a couple seconds delay. If you want to switch your call from your watch back to your iPhone, simply hit the green status bar on your iPhone.
If you’d like to mute the cellular call or FaceTime audio that’s happening on your wrist, there’s no toggle on your watch for that. Instead, you’ll need to access your iPhone to perform this task.
Now that you know how to transfer cellular calls and FaceTime audios from Apple watch to your iPhone and vice versa, you’ll be able to make smooth transfers back and forth while you’re in mid-conversation.