Recently, a devastating bug was discovered on Apple’s FaceTime app. It was the talk of the town for more than a couple of days. However, fortunately, the bug was fixed on the latest update of the iOS. Let’s know more about this bug.
For definite security reasons, we wouldn’t share the steps to initiate the bug here. However as this was fixed with the latest update, we will cover the process of initiating the bug down below. Thus you could check it for yourself if the bug is fixed on your iPhone yet.
- First of all, you need to make a FaceTime call with another person
- While you are on the call, swipe up from the bottom of the screen
- Next, tap on the ‘Add Person’ button from there
- At this point, add your own phone number when it asks for a number
The moment you add your number for the second time, the call automatically connects without even receiving from the other end. So, you can hear the other person. This was seriously a major bug. Another important point, the other person can’t tell that you can hear them.
Usually, at first, everybody thought that this was only an audio related bug. So, you can’t hack into their video feed using this bug. But it turned out wrong.
You can actually hack into their video feed as well. However, in this case, the other person would need to press the power button on their iPhone. This is also another major bug. Because many of us press the power button to make the call go away.
How to Fix this Bug?
When it was brought to Apple’s eye, Apple immediately disabled the Group FaceTime calls. However, it was not the ultimate fix. So, the user base waited for a long time to get an end to this bug.
Ultimately, after a couple of days of waiting, iPhone users found the fix. Apple released a new iOS 12.1.4 update and they fixed the bug with this update. So, you need to update your iPhone’s software to the latest version to get rid of this bug.
How to update software on your iPhone?
- Navigate to the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone
- Then tap on the ‘General’ option from there
- Tap on the ‘Software Update’ button from there
- You will see a prompt on the screen saying that a new update is available. You will just need to download the update on your phone. The update will automatically be installed
This FaceTime Eavesdropping bug was discovered by a teen accidentally. However, his mother told that they have contacted Apple back on January 20. However, there was no response from Apple even though she sent evidence in the form of emails and video.
Now that the bug was known worldwide, Apple fixed it as soon as possible. Whatever the case, it is true that this was a very controversial bug. And, we are happy that the bug is now fixed.