It’s normal for your iPhone to occasionally have a technical twitch, this is expected with any type of technology. Though, usually, it’s something that can be easily fixed or will even go away on its own. With the iPhone, sometimes, it’ll display that you have a message when you don’t. Your message app will display a “+1” which shows that you have an unread message in your app. However, when you open the app, you don’t have an unread message. Is this a big problem? Of course not, however, it is annoying to see that you have an unread message when you don’t. There could be a number of reasons as to why this is happening. When you know why then you’ll know how to fix it.
Why your iPhone is showing that you have unread messages
Sometimes, the reason isn’t so obvious. However, try looking at these options as to why your iPhone is displaying unread messages.
- If you place your finger at the top of the screen a swipe down, it’ll display a list of unread messages, emails, texts and events. From there, you’ll be able to see if anything unread is being shown.
- If you’re in a group message, you’ll have a number of recipients all in one SMS conversation. The “unread message” you’re being shown could be because there’s an unread message within the group message. In order to check, you’ll have to open each group message you have and scroll through to find the unread message within the group message.
- Try to close your SMS app. You can easily do this by going to your task manager. By doing this, you can double click the home button where you’ll see a row of icons appear. One of those icons will be your SMS app which is a green colored app. Holder your finger down on the SMS app until a red minus appears. Select the red minus symbol and it will close the app for you. Then, go back to your home screen and re-launch the app. If the “unread” message doesn’t appear, you solved your problem.
- Try sending an SMS to yourself. It could simply be a glitch in the system, so if you send yourself a message and open it, you may solve your problem by getting rid of the “+1” symbol.
- Restart your iphone. If you hold the sleep/wake key with the home key for 10 seconds, you’ll be able to turn off your phone. Then, it’ll restart on its own.
If your iPhone is displaying unread messages on your mail app
Sometimes, your iPhone will show that you have unread emails on your mail app. Firstly, make sure by checking your mail that you don’t have any unread emails. To make sure you don’t, open your mail app and go into your inbox. Once there, you’ll want to select “edit” at the top-right of your screen and then select “Mark All” and then select “Mark as Unread”. This will ensure that you actually do not have any unread messages. If the mail app still shows you that you have unread messages, you’ll want to follow the steps below.
In order to fix the unread mail count on your iPhone, you’ll want to go to settings. Once there, select “Mail, Contact, Calendars.” Then, select the mail account that is displaying unread messages. Once you selected the correct mail account, you’ll want to turn “Mail” to “off”. Once that’s completed, you’ll want to turn your iPhone. In order to do this, hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then slide the power off. Wait for 30 seconds before turning your iPhone back on. When you turn it back on, go to “Settings” and select “Mail, Contact, Calendar”. Then, select the respective mail account and turn “Mail” to “On”.
Go back to your homepage and see if it’s still displaying unread messages. This should do the trick. If this didn’t work, you’ll want to contact Apple and get further assistance.
This is usually fixable without needing the help of Apple, so, give this a try and hopefully it works for you!