When it comes to sharing a wifi network, it can be a huge hassle. However, one of the most overlooked features of the iOS 11 is the sharing of wifi passwords. But, now with iOS 11, you’ll be able to share your wifi network with a friend by simply sending the network password to their device without having to actually reveal your wireless information. Prior to this update, sharing your wifi password on an iOS device was highly insecure. Before this, you would have to give your wifi password out to the person, type it into their device or look on the back of your router for it. But now, that doesn’t have to happen ever again.
Now, if you have a decent router such as Apple’s AirPort, you’ll be able to create a limited guest network with its own password which will be walled off from the primary network. Below, we’re going to show you how to share your wifi password with anyone securely.
How to share your wifi password safely on iOS 11
If you’re interested in finding out how to share your wifi password safely, then here’s how to do it. Though, there are a couple prerequisites that you’ll need to have. Firstly, you’ll need to make sure that your iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra is connected to your local wifi. Secondly, you’ll need to make sure that all devices are on iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra systems or later. Thirdly, if you have a MAC address filtering enabled on your network, this won’t work.
1. Make sure that your device is unlocked and connection to your wifi network.
2. Make sure the device you want to send the wifi password to has the option to connect to your network. To do this, go to your home screen and tap on Settings → Wifi on their device. Your wifi network should be visible.
3. Tap on your network name.
4. The window will pop up to enter the password into the secure wifi network. Now, on your device, a wifi window will pop up which will ask you if you’d like to send the wifi password to their device. This will only pop up if the other device is trying to connect to your primary wifi network.
5. On your device, tap send password – this will allow you to share access to your wifi network. If you want to cancel this, press the ‘x’ on the top-right hand corner.
6. If you approve to share the password, your encrypted wifi password will be sent to the other device, connecting them automatically to your wifi network.
7. Tap done to dismiss the popup window.
From here on, the other person will have full access to your wifi network. With this, they’ll also be able to approve wifi requests from their device as well. You can also do this with other devices such as laptops. You would follow the same instructions above on your laptop.
Is it secure?
You may be wondering if this feature is secure since you’re sending wifi passwords over air. Well, it is secure because the wifi passwords are encrypted. In addition, though your password is saved into the other device, it does not allow that person to view the password. With this being said, since your password is encrypted and not viewable on other devices, yes, it’s safe. Though for extra security, ensure that your wifi network is using WPA2 protection and a high-entropy password, this will ensure that your wifi network stays safe from unwanted people and devices.
Now that you know how to send wifi passwords to people around you, it’s time you started using this method. Save yourself time from having to type it in yourself or spreading the password out to everyone that comes by. Instead, control their access by sharing the password straight from your device to theirs.